Pulse Jet

Over the last year or so I’ve been collecting the materials for a pulse jet.

I now have all the material and a start has been made in actually making materials into parts (Alaric has welded the bends together).

I am keen to have a working pulse jet to demonstrate at EMF. Is anyone interested in helping us build it?

Don’t worry if you have no experience at metalwork and or welding those of us that have can show you how to do stuff (and sometimes how not to do stuff).

If you are interested let me know via this forum topic or turn up at the Hackspace next thursday (1/2/2018)

I’ll be using the same design Colin Furze did for this.

https://youtu.be/u5ceYtR22Ww

Yes I am so up for being involved in this!

booo, can’t do Thursdays, do want to make a pulse jet though… the possibilities are endless. I particularly liked the one that powers his kettle.

Can you do Wednesday? We’re planning on doing pulse jettery this wednesday

Found the original design: http://jdpulsejet.blogspot.co.uk/2014/

Scale up or down from that should given all the dimensions needed

I’m there Wednesday :slight_smile:

I’ve cut out the templates. Now we need to cut them out.
What weekends are people free?

I’m busy this weekend but I think I’m free for the next few after that

I’m free this Saturday to do done cutting. Do you recommend getting any particular disks?

Do you have a leaf blower for firing it up? I saw one in a charity shop for £25

If its still there can you buy it and I’ll pay you back?

What time will you be there? I’ll be coming and going all weekend.

I have plenty of discs.

Sure, I’ll get it tomorrow morning if it’s still there. I’ll probably be at the workshop at about 10am

Janion and I bent the stainless sheet for the combustion chamber yesterday.

I propose a welding day at my shed on the weekend of 24th.

Anyone interested in learning to weld drop me a line (chas.ixion@gmail.com)

Just a reminder to let EMF know that we’re planning on bringing a pulse jet:
https://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_bring_X.2FY.2FZ.3F

Yeah I sent the mail this morning, Although tickets are proving to be a problem. I checked the website at 12:02 (next batch was supposed to be noon today)… no tickets available (although apparently there will be loads more in time)

Yeah I wouldn’t worry, there’ll be load in due course. I missed this batch too

Thanks to everyone who helped with the pulse jet we now have 2/3rds of the combustion chamber made.

It looks like mistakes were made with one of the cone sections that meant it is now scrap so I intend to have a planning session at the space this thursday to fix this and figure out what to do next.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the pulse jet we now have 2/3rds of the combustion chamber made.

It looks like mistakes were made with one of the cone sections that meant it is now scrap so I intend to have a planning session at the space this thursday to fix this and figure out what to do next.

It was great to get involved.
I will come along on Thursday.
A developed detail (flat pattern) at 1:1 will fit on the plotter at work so I could CAD up the design if necessary.